Dominating Women In Jane Eyre

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    dmcluckey

@kadenheadington I think Jane takes some people’s advice, it depends on who it is. Jane would listen to Helen’s advice, but not anybody like Mr. Brockelhurst.

@kl1214 I believe that Jane’s life would be very different if she didn’t meet Helen. Helen played a big role in her life. Helen was Jane’s only real friend at Lowood. Helen taught Jane many things. If Jane did not meet Helen, I don’t think Jane would have matured the way she did.

@dmcluckey I think that people who were curious about what a girl sees would read this book. This book gave a whole different perspective because it was told through a female’s point of view. You can’t really know who would read this book and who wouldn’t.

These female characters act as foil characters to Jane. Their own characteristics either highlight Jane’s opposing or similar characteristics. For example, Helen’s Burns’ attitude towards God as merciful and forgiving greatly contrasts Jane’s view of God as vengeful and smiting. As for Eliza and Georgianna Reed, being spoiled brats highlights Jane’s difficulty with living an impoverished lifestyle. As readers, we think more about the female characters more than the male antagonists because the author herself is a woman, Charlotte Bronte, who constantly introduces more female characters throughout the novel rather than male. Because the novel is written from a female perspective, the readers are more easily able to connect with and apply Jane’s story to their own lives.
    In what ways can Charlotte Bronte’s feminist views be seen throughout the novel?

@kadenheadington I think Jane does take people’s advice to heart, but only to a certain extent. She mainly listens to advice from her friends, and will dismiss anything other than their words.

@kl1214 Had Jane not met Helen Burns, she would not have learned about the merciful side of God from Helen’s perspective.

loganoviatt

The addition of contrasting female characters for Jane’s personality gives us greater understanding about Jane. Certain character, such as Hellen, contrast jane so heavily that we start to see minute details about Jane that we would likely have not noticed. We know more about female characters in this novel because 1. Jane is a female and therefore going to be drawn to other female characters and 2. It is written by a feminist in the midst of a feminist movement in England, therefore more likely to give more dynamic qualities to women. The contrast of male/female views in the mind of Jane affects the readers perspective by understanding the plot though a more feminine, more emotional mind. We now lean towards thoughts that are associated with female characteristics. Why do you think Bronte wrote the book from the perspective of a little girl, then fast forwards ten years to her life as an adult? Why include her life as a child?

loganoviatt

@adriennedwyer I believe that the ways Bronte wrote through feminist ideals was by giving extremely negative qualities to every man that Jane comes in contact with.

loganoviatt

@hampizza I believe that certain woman, feisty ones, were radically against the treatment of women and wished to overthrows the hierarchy. Some women, contrarily did not mind the ill treatment towards them. They had grew up in such a culture and did not see how life could be lived otherwise.

kantakato1

In Jane’s life there are many female foil characters that are around the same age as she is. Helen Burns is one character that stood out because of how much she affected Jane’s life. Even thought they were good friends, Helen and Jane have very different traits. Helen helps bring out who Jane is with her personality and her biblical views. The author of the story is a woman as it is from the perspective of a female. The story was written at the time of when men had more rights than woman, so she is showing how woman are just as equal basing the story of a female. What do you think the story would would be like if a male wrote this story?

kantakato1

@hampizza Yes, I believe that Jane did change with the affect of her female friends and especially Helen who had opposite traits as her affected her greatly. Also I think woman back then did feel angry of how they were treated, but they had to deal with it and could no to much about it.

kantakato1

@dmcluckey I think it would be woman who would read this because it was written by a female in which she wrote about how her life was but put it into a story. It is how men had more rights than woman so I think a book coming from what a female thinks of it would be interesting to people who are living that same life.

@kl1214 I believe that if Jane did not meet Helen Burns, Jane would be in a very dark place. If it was not for Helen, Janes outcome would probably change in the end.

@loganoviatt I think janes childhood is like the beginning of a roller coaster, her childhood story is what builds up her character as an adult, so that way you’ll understand why she is the way she is as an adult; due to the way she grew up.

There are more female character with more content than male characters is because bronte is a female herself. Writing about female characters is what she knows best. All the female characters Jane grew up with are all foil characters who highlight hidden attributes that we readers may not be able to see first off.

Jane is surrounded by many female characters in the story,and it makes her aware of the inequality between men and women. Many of the female characters act as opposites or foils to Jane, which essentially shapes her adult life. Helen is Jane’s best friend from the time they first meet until Helen’s death. Helen was everything to Jane, when she had nothing. Helen definitely heavily influenced Jane’s life. We know more of the female characters than the male antagonists, because of the fact that Jane is the protagonist of the story and generally makes friends with girls more than men. Plus, many of the male characters of the story are evil and cruel, such as Mr. Brockelhurst. Do you think Mr. Brockelhurst shaped the way that Jane viewed men?

@dmcluckey I think that the people who would have read the book back then, would mostly consist of feminists and other people who support women’s rights.

@kadenheadington I think that Jane is definitely influenced by what her friends may say, but i don’t think she generally takes advice, especially from people she is not very close to, to heart.

hallegj

In the book, Charlotte Bronte includes many girls around the same age as Jane. I believe she includes these characters to act as foil characters in order to bring out Jane’s characteristics. For example, Helen Burns, Jane’s best friend, is known as Jane’s anti-Christ because she is the opposite of Jane. Through their differences, we are able to learn a lot about Jane’s beliefs and her personality. While Jane wants revenge, Helen believes that revenge is God’s job and that you should be nice to your enemies. Without characters like Helen we would not be able to learn so much about Jane. I think we know more about the female characters because Charlotte Bronte is a female, so she knows more about females. the contrast of male and female perspective shapes our view of Jane’s world, in that it shows us that Jane’s world and time period was probably just on the edge of equality between men and women. However, women were still seen as the lesser of the two.
    How do you think Jane’s world would be different if she had never met Helen?

hallegj

@adriennedwyer Charlotte Bronte’s feminist views can be seen throughout the novel through the quotes she says through Jane. Also through her focus on women and their roles throughout the novel.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.