Forum #4: The Entire Novel

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • Author

@angelicacastaneda
    If Arthur never met Merlyn, I think his reign as king would have been very destructive. Without him, Arthur’s beliefs would have been different, and his destiny may not have been fulfilled.

sarahjwilcox

This quote from T.H. White’s The Goshawk talks about someone putting their enormous potential on display for those who will not appreciate that potential and how this person in the quote needs to go to war but cannot show his true self because he is someone in authority. It says he would rather kill rabbits than people, but he cannot tell the people that because he must go to war and kill or else he could be considered a weak person in power. This parallel’s Arthur and his childhood. Wart (Arthur) was destined to become Kay’s squire until he pulled the sword out of the stone in Book I Chapter 22. Unfortunately, as soon as Wart pulls the sword out of the stone and brings it to Kay he regrets it because his childhood is over, his innocence is lost, and he knew that the sword carried with it the burden of leadership. Later in the book I feel as though he cannot show his true character, of him preferring to be Kay’s squire, because he has standards to live up to as being the King of England.
    Would Arthur not have any regrets had he actually earned the position as king?

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by sarahjwilcox.
    sarahjwilcox

@angelicacastaneda I think Merlyn designed everything that no matter what, Wart would meet Merlyn. But, if it were so I believe that Arthur would have become King with the knowledge of Uther being his father.

sarahjwilcox

@taylornicholas13 I feel as though without Merlyn’s guidance, in his situation with Sir Ector, he wouldn’t have been such a good king. Such as, pulling the kingdom out a famine or guiding them through war. Merlyn taught him many things through the transformations of those animals so, I do not think he would be the same respectable man as he was when he was king.

The quote from “The Goshawk” exemplifies the entire novel of “A Once and Future King”, and pertains to Lancelot and Arthur’s situations perfectly. As children, both Arthur and Lancelot wanted to have fun. Arthur was going to be a squire and Lancelot a great jouster, lifestyles more closely related to having fun; but, instead, Arthur was destined to be king and Lancelot “the greatest knight in all the land”, roles that would plunge the two into lives full of war and bloodshed, lives they did not want. If Arthur and Lancelot were to “shoot rabbits”, or have fun, that would have been a waste of their fighting potential and talents. Due to circumstances and the people around them, they were bombarded and forced “to fly to arms, and shoot the people” when they would rather “shoot rabbits”. Would it have been more beneficial for Arthur and Lancelot to live their lives “shooting rabbits” or “shooting people”?

@sarahjwilcox I think that Arthur would still have had regrets regardless of how he came to the throne. His regrets were more related to the events that unfolded during his reign as king.

@angelicacastenada @taylornicholas13 I agree with you completely. Had Arthur never met Merlyn, he would not have learned the lessons that shaped his viewpoints on being a successful king, and may have never realized that war is an ugly, destructive thing, fought over imaginary boundaries, ruining lives.

loganoviatt

This quote accurately parallels Arthurs life. How much better did Arthur do as a king than a squire? One’s destiny may not always be clear from the platform on which it is being obsereved. Arthur could only dream of the great things he would do as king. Arthur learned to be content and to serve when he thought that he would not equate to much. This, and all of Merlyn’s teaching, prepared him for his greater destiny. If he had learned that he was to be king when he was a boy, his character would not have matured as much. Arthur learned to shoot people instead of rabbits when he had to.
    Why do you think Merlyn taught Arthur through turning him into animals and parables than more “conventional methods”?

loganoviatt

@adriennedwyer I believe that you need to shoot both at times. Shooting people too often is a life of sadness and shooting rabbits too often is a life of innocence. Exclusively shooting either one would be equal harmful for Arthur and Lancelot.

loganoviatt

@taylornicholas13 Arthur’s life would have been drastically different without Merlyn. People need mentors to teach them wisdom and insight. Arthur would have grown up under a cruel father and a kingdom that already hated him for his name if it had not been for Merlyn.

dmcluckey

This quote from The Goshawk has a similar theme in The Once and Future King. For example, before Arthur pulled the sword out of the stone, he was going to be Kay’s squire. Arthur was satisfied with being Kay’s squire, but England needed him to be king. When Arthur was young, he and Kay went on all of these adventures, but when they grew up, there was no time for foolishness. War takes a toll on a person.
    What type of person would Arthur have been, if he had never met Merlyn?

dmcluckey

@taylornicholas13 Merlyn taught Arthur many life lessons in their adventures. This led to Arthur making the correct decisions for many obstacles. So yes, Arthur’s life would be very different without Merlyn.

dmcluckey

@dchin I think book 4 had a serious tone because Lancelot and Guenever’s affair became more public than in any of the other books. Also because as Mordred got older, the darkness in him only grew making him wanting to control the land, through force.

@dmcluckey Arthur would not have been a leader. With the help of Merlyn, Arthur was able to think for himself which made him a leader. If Merlyn were not in his life then he would have been a follower.

@loganoviatt Merlyn turned Arthur into animals because Arthur learned more from the animals. It was his way of understanding the lesson he needed to learn. Arthur was also alone when he was transformed so he learned to rely on himself rather than other, allowing him to think for himself.

@angelicacastaneda If Arthur did not meet Merlyn than he would no thave been the leader he is now. He would have continued to follow Kay.

@sarahjwilcox I concur with @adriennedwyre because Arthur doesn’t seem to have regrets but if he does it would have to be during his reign rather than how he got there or even in his childhood.

@cjscherer Arthur already had a love for war but not so much that he would have a desire for it all the time. He knew how to balance mercy with justice. Is this what your asking?

@davidanthony01 I believe if Gareth and Gawaine survived their murder they would have been honored by their bravery for standing against their friend in order to protect the King. #respect

@adriennedwyer I believe Lancelot and Arthur wanted the life of a knight and they became that. However, they didn’t want to abuse their strength or the other knight’s strength of might over right. But concerning your question, Lancelot and Arthur would rather utilize their time and rank “shooting people” for the right cause. This goes back to the overall theme of right over might.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.