Forum 9.22: Why Do We Mythologize

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    hallegj

I chose ++Myths present guidelines for living.When myths tell about the activities and attitudes of deities, the moral tone implies society’s expectations for our own behaviors and standards. In myths, we see archetypal situations and some of the options which can be selected in those situations; we also perceive the rewards and other consequences which resulted from those selections.

Nowadays, we always look to others as a guideline on how to simply live our lives. We like being able to see other’s mistakes, so that we can learn from them and not make the same mistakes. Mythology provides these guidelines for us in the different gods. Seeing how the gods act in different situations, and their behavior in everyday life gives us a representation of how we can handle different situations and act in everyday life. Although most of the stories in mythology are exaggerated, we can still get an overall guideline on how to live from the different gods. Do you tend to look to others as a guideline for how to live?

serrato1

by example because as humans we have a natural tendency to follow a figure whether it be a rule book or those just around us we need a source to show us how to live our lives and what is considered socially acceptable and hot to become socially acceptable and to do so we look at things around us to tell us what they are. So when we have theses myths doing exactly that its hard for us not to shift towards this output of ideas. This idea though of just following a list does not quench this search to fit, but when we get examples especially humanistic examples we try to be these role models it gives us a guideline to follow and different ways of following because though we say we want to be individual our nature tell us to be different and singled out is not a good thing and to be like the crowd just in a personalized way is the way to go about things. We cant just do this all the time because our natural curiosity of how things work and where did they come and why are we here kick in and these myths give us these explanations and answer our questions. Whether or not they are true was not the matter it was the quenching of the questions and doubt was the concern. And knowing these questions of our origin and having these answers for living life gave us the reason and meaning for life and that’s all we really want is to know that this life counts for something and its not just fleeting moments of nothing, but that there is a goal in the end. Whether that be attaining social status or pleasing the gods it gave us a standard to strive for daily. What is the cause for us wanting a logical explanation of our origins?

hallegj

@hampizza
    I do not think that the Greeks have created a believable explanation of the creation and the world right now. However, their links to science give a somewhat believable explanation to creation

loganoviatt

I would argue that the fourth reason is that most accurate. Mythology gives humans a reason to live. It justifies pain and suffering. We, as humans, desire to understand meaning and symbols. What mythology does is bring light to those symbols. The trials of life are reflected into a godly dimension that explains why things are the way that they are. As the writer of Hebrews 11.1 states, “faith is a substance of things hoped for, evidence of things not seen”. Why do you think that Greeks chose human figures as gods and not animal figures like the Egyptians?

serrato1

@adriennedwyer I feel like we base our lives on almighty gods because as humans we feel like we are to flawed and imperfect to bring about goodness and perfection in the world, and who better to do that than “perfect” beings themselves.

loganoviatt

@serrato1 I think that this desire is a component in man’s natural curiosity and our path to understanding ourselves.

hallegj

@alexharakas
    I think one of the universal emotional and physical needs of humankind today is approval from others. We always want to fit in so we are always seeking the approval of others.

loganoviatt

@ashleyfabella I chose Batman as my favorite superhero because he is dark and comes with flaws, yet still manages to do good in the world.

serrato1

@hallegj I feel like we all look at others for guidelines to follow so we know that what we do is not wrong in the eyes of those around us and that we are socially acceptable and that people wont question our actions because that is what everyone else is doing.

lizzytrinh

I chose ++ Myths offer role models. In particular, children pattern themselves after heroes; comic books and Saturday-morning cartoons depict many archetypal characters, such as Superman and Wonder Woman. Adults, too, can find role models, in the stories of deities’ strength, persistence, and courage.

Role models have and will always exist in the lives of people. They influence the lives of their followers and set an example for others. Mythology provides role models for its audience because of its ability to relate to those of all ages. Men, women, and children are represented in Mythological stories, where the effects of their good and bad decisions are shown. Furthermore, the reader is able to learn from the characters of Mythology and learn from their actions as well. Mythology provides role models for its readers by representing characters who are heroic and exemplary. Who are some characters who prove to be good examples to its readers?

lizzytrinh

@loganoviatt I believe the Greeks chose human figures as gods rather than animal figures in order for humans to better understand and relate to the actions of these gods.

lizzytrinh

@kantakato1 One example would be science. Science is a logical way to explain occurances happening today.

kylethorin

Why do we mythologize? I chose ++ Myths explain the unexplained. They reveal our fate after death, and the reasons for crises or miracles, and other puzzles — and yet they retain and even encourage an aura of mystery. Myths also satisfy our need to understand the natural world; for example, they might state that a drought is caused by an angry deity. This purpose of mythology was especially important before the advent of modern science, which offered the Big Bang theory to replace creation myths, and it gave us the theory of evolution to supplant myths regarding the genesis of humanity. And yet, science creates its own mythology (mythome.org).

I believe the above statement best justifies why we mythologize. What caused my crops to grow this summer? Ahhh… it must have been the gods. Humans want to know everything. Mankind wants knowledge and wisdom, but we cannot know everything which is why the Greeks made myths so we can “know” everything, but not all of these myths are to be taken literally because most of them are not historically or scientifically accurate. But we use mythology to learn through imagination as we read about the gods. So my question to you is, what did cause my crops to grow this summer? Just kidding. What type of Mythology does Edith Hamilton’s Mythology contain? (Primitive, Pagan, Sacred, Scientific, Cosmic, Theistic, Hero, Place and Object, etc.)

kylethorin

@lizzytrinh I think that none of the Greek gods are perfect, they have their pros and cons. For example, Hercules is very strong and brave, but he lacks self-control and intelligence. As they sometimes say, all brawn and no brains.

kylethorin

@dmcluckey Most gods in Greek mythology are believable, which is why the Greeks have done a terrific job in creating these myths. The Greeks have not really made a “perfect” god, they all have good and bad things about them. But I think Demeter is a very believable god. Demeter lives on earth and is the goddess of corn and harvest. She causes our crops to grow well and be plentiful, but she gets sad during four months of the year because Hades, the god of the underworld, takes Demeter’s daughter to the underworld. During these four months, Demeter mourns and leaves our field barren which is the Greek’s explanation of winter.

sarahjwilcox

I agree with **Myths grant continuity and stability to a culture. They foster a shared set of perspectives, values, history. Through these communal tales, we are connected to one another, to our ancestors, to the natural world surrounding us, and to society; and, through the myths which have universal (i.e., archetypal) themes, we are connected to other cultures.

I believe this statement is true. This statement is true because people use mythology as sort of a way to feel more connected not only to nature, cultures, ancestors, but to the gods themselves. I also believe people mythologize to have some excuse for things to happen in not only their lives but other people’s lives around them.

Jesus’ deity was challenged daily in His public ministry. Why didn’t the Greek people challenge their “great” gods.

sarahjwilcox

@lizzytrinh I believe none of the Greek gods were good examples. All of them were incestuous, war-loving gods. Which shouldn’t be set as an example to kids and people of that time

sarahjwilcox

@loganoviatt Instead of animal-based gods they chose human-based gods because it is easier to relate to than an animal. No matter how wise that animal may be in Egyptian culture they cannot relate as easy to them than the Greek gods.

alleydimel

i agree with the first statement written above. we mythologize to have an understanding to the world, one that we all share and believe in. the greeks mythologized to explain the unexplainable. and i think that is why we mythologize, to explain what anything else cannot. why is there a storm? oh, its just zeus and poseidon! no need to worry kiddos! that is why we mythologize.

alleydimel

do you think that is why?

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 62 total)
  • The topic ‘Forum 9.22: Why Do We Mythologize’ is closed to new replies.