Mr. Rochester: Villian or Hero

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #10208
    missloock
    Keymaster

Okay.

So, who is this man, Mr. Rochester. We are calling him a Savior character. But, is he?

For your homework. Post either the words: VILLIAN or HERO and post a quote from our reading that supports your answer.

Posts and responses to posts are due by Thursday November 10th

#10209

HERO
    “He could have settle her with a well-planted blow; but he would not strike: he would only wrestle.” (Pg. 188).
    “God bless you, my dear master!” I said. “God keep you from harm and wrong -direct you, solace you -reward you well for your past kindness to me.” (Pg. 203).

#10210
    alexharakas
    Member

HERO
    ” I wanted to have you safe before hazarding confidences. This was cowardly: I should have appealed to your nobleness and magnanimity at first, as I do now—opened to you plainly my life of agony—described to you my hunger and thirst after a higher and worthier existence—…”
    (Chapter 27)
    It requires humility to admit your cowardess.

#10211
    alexharakas
    Member

Can Rochester be a villain but still a savior character?

#10212

Does Mr. Rochester’s love for Jane excuse all his past mistakes?

#10213

@alexharakas
    Mr. Rochester is not portrayed as a villain because although it may seem like he is he is not. For instance, his situation with Bertha started was thrust onto him by his father and brother. And rather than Rochester ditching her and throwing Bertha away, he kept her and nursed her as best he could. Thus his illusion as a villain is shown he is still the Savior character.

#10214
    alexharakas
    Member

@amelianavarro
    Although the Bible says, “love covers a multitude of sins,” I do not believe it applies to Rochester in his love for Jane. He may fervently love Jane, but his wrongs degrade her honor and should be addressed.The true problem is not his marriage to Bertha, but Rochester’s failure to tell Jane about it causes the real rift in their relationship. If he told her the truth his wrongs could have been quickly forgiven. Rochester’s love for Jane does not compensate for his failure to tell her the truth.

#10215

HERO

“I flatter myself I had hard and tough as an Indian rubber ball; pervious, though, through a chink or two still, and with one sentiment point in the middle of the limp. Yes: does that leave hope for me?… Of my final re-transformation from the Indian-rubber ball back to flesh?” (Brònte 138)

This quote could one of two things: he was admitting himself as a villain or he was admitting his faults and showing he wanted to change. What do you think Rochester was trying to prove by saying this? Do you think he described himself accurately?

#10216

@alexharakas

I don’t necessarily believe that Rochester can be both a villain and a savior, but I do believe that he can be a villain and have some good characteristics. Bad people can make good choicee, but aren’t necessarily viewed as a “savior”.

#10217

@amelianavarro
    I don’t think that Mr. Rochester’s love for Jane excused his mistakes, because he could have simply told her the truth from the beginning. Even though he was hurt didn’t mean he needed to hurt someone else in the process.

#10218
    alexharakas
    Member

@taylornicholas13
    I do believe he describes himself accurately in that quote. He is very hardheaded but changes under certain circumstances. I believe through this quote Rochester can be dubbed either a hero or villain, because knowing your faults does not make you honorable, it is the act of working to fix them that does.

#10219

@taylornicholas13 Mr. Rochester describes himself as a sinful man. But he doesn’t give himself justice. Instead he talks about all the bad things he’s done but he forgets all the good things he’s done. All the bad does not simply out way the good.

#10220
    dmcluckey
    Member

HERO
    “‘That is my wife,’ said he. ‘Such is the sole conjugal embrace I am ever to know—such are the endearments which are to solace my leisure hours!'”
    Do you think that Rochester did the right thing by hiding Bertha?

#10221
    dmcluckey
    Member

(Chapter 26)

#10222
    dmcluckey
    Member

@alexharakas I think Rochester could be a villain and a savior at the same time, like Darth Vader. He could seem like he is doing something wrong, but actually, the person is making the right choice.

#10223
    dmcluckey
    Member

@amelianavarro Mr. Rochester’s love for Jane does not excuse what he has done in the past. I understand why he did not tell Jane about Bertha, but u think he should have told her anyway. This causes Jane and Rochester to drift away from each other.

#10224

HERO
    “Come to my side, Jane, and let us explain and understand one another” (Chapter 23).
    Rochester exhibits qualities of reasoning and attempts to understand Jane.
    Why is Rochester so intent upon understanding Jane?

#10225

@dmcluckey I think Rochester is justified in hiding Bertha because he is protecting her from the inhuman treatment of insane asylums.

#10226

@amelianavarro I don’t believe that Rochester’s love excuses his past mistakes. Truth should be a foundation for relationships and the fact that Rochester did not reveal his past to Jane resulted in the broken relationship between him and Jane.

#10227
    Daniel Chu
    Member

VILLAN

“To England, then, I conveyed her; a fearful voyage I had with such a monster in the vessel. Glad was I when I at last got her to Thornfield, and saw her safely lodged in that third-story room, of whose secret inner cabinet she has now for ten years made a wild beast’s den— a goblin’s cell. (Chapter 27)
    Do you believe that Mr. Rochester should have divorced Bertha Mason or locked her in the attic? If Mr. Rochester divorced Bertha, how might this have changed the relationship between Jane and Mr. Rochester?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.