Mr. Rochester: Villian or Hero

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    hallegj

HERO
    “He could have settled her with a well-planted blow; but he would not strike:”
    Why would he not strike?

@taylornicholas13 Rochester wanted to change so he can be with Jane and treat her right. He was trying to prove himself that his love for Jane and show her that he can treat her right.

hallegj

@kantakato1 He could be a hero because he stayed with Bertha and did not abandon her, but he could be a villain because he didn’t tell Jane about Bertha.

hallegj

@kadenheadington I think that Rochester did sound like a hero when he first entered the story because he was saving Jane from lowood.

kylethorin

VILLAIN
    “You fling me back on lust for a passion-vice for an occupation?” (Chapter 27)
    “Jane! will you hear reason?” (he stooped and approached his lips to my ear); “because, if you won’t, I’ll try violence.” (Chapter 27)
    Rochester tries to make Jane feel guilty, so she won’t leave, and when she wouldn’t budge, he said he will resort to violence.
    Why do you think that Rochester thought it was right to keep Bertha Rochester a secret from Jane for the whole time she was in Thornfield, up until the marriage?

kylethorin

@hallegj He would not strike his former wife Bertha, because he knew that she was crazy and could not control herself

kylethorin

@kl1214 I do not really feel that he was pressuring her into marriage, but I feel like she was too caught up in the moment that she felt like she had to say yes. On the other hand, if she had more time to think about it, then its possible she could have refused him.

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.