The purpose of blogging is connect with others. We connect with others all day long, sometimes on Face Book, other times through the sending of a text message or a quick phone call or face-to face. We are connected with others all the time. Blogging gives us another avenue to connect with people, and in the case of “The Fine Print” another way to connect with literature. All our blogging is… is a conversation. A conversation with friends about what is happening in our day-to-day lives through schoolwork and literature. We comment to connect, and to connect we tell stories and share our opinions. Remember, you are trying to engage the blogger in a conversation. A good comment can be the beginning of a good blogging relationship and an even better conversation.
Here are the ideas to think about before blogging:
Think: Digital privacy:
- Use your first name only to identify yourself.
- Never use your home email, your street address, phone number, or school name.
- Don’t share specifics of your daily routines (ie where & when your soccer practice is)
- Be polite
- Be encouraging.
- If you disagree, don’t be rude about it; give constructive feedback.
- Keep your comment on topic and always say something about the original post.
- Be more formal than you would in real life
- Avoid texting shortcuts like u for you and l8r for later
- If warranted, add a question at the end of your comment to keep the conversation going.
- Include your blog url (address) so the blogger knows where to find you.
- Try to fix your spelling mistakes… the red squiggly line under the word, usually means something
- Use capitals in the right places: people’s names, places, the beginning of a sentence, etc.
- All capitals is considered YELLING… please, don’t use them.
- Punctuate properly: period at the end of a sentence, space after a period, comma, Ect.
- Never use a string of exclamation marks.
- Remember, you are putting your best self forward, so polish your comments and ideas
Now that you know the rules, it is time to put your blogging foot forward… See you on The Fine Print. And overll remember one simple rule: Blogging is about reading, thinking, and responding.