Dominating Women In Jane Eyre

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    hallegj

@peytonpointer I think that Mr. Brockelhurst probably did shape the way that Jane viewed men. I believe this because throughout the book Jane had not had much interaction with men other than John Reed. With both of these men being cruel, I believe that it probably made Jane believe that most men were cruel.

serrato1

Within Jane Eyre many female characters have come into play into role in Jane’s life. These characters help move the story along and provide insight into Jane’s life, thoughts, personality, and characteristics. Without these women we may not have know all we do about Jane Eyre or have the insight we do of all that she does. All these women play the important part of being Jane’s foil characters being everything she is not or having things she never did. A great example of this would be Helen Burns of Lowood. While Jane was forward and driven by anger Helen was calm and took punishment as a guide and driven by the future of heaven. We know more of the female characters than the male characters because the view of the entire book is from the view of Jane Eyre who happened to be a woman and the perspective of the insight to a woman’s mind was so accurate because the author herself was a female. The contrast between the male and female perspective through out the book allows us to see into the world Jane, as a woman, lived. That they were seen more as dainty objects than commanding philosophical thinking capable women. We see this in the way that Mr. Rochester was shocked or surprised way Jane’s speech and the way she talked to him and was very straight forth in her thoughts toward him. Without this character Mr. Rochester do you think Jane would have developed in the story the way that she has?

serrato1

@adriennedwyer we can see Bronte’s feministic views through out the novel by the way she portrays each individual man, each with their different faults and somehow connects them together to form her bad view of men through the novel.

serrato1

@ashleyfabella I feel like the book would have been popular in the 1800’s as it is now but for different reason as it is now. Now we see the book as a classic novel and see the different style Bronte wrote in, then though it may have caused quite a stir with the implications it made like with women being viewed as non superior beings. This may have caused the women to feel empowered and felt like this could be true and the men see it as a terrible idea that such a thing was happening and that society was fine the way it was.

lizzytrinh

The contrast of female characters in the novel emphasize Jane’s characteristics and give insight to Jane’s nature. By the use of other female characters, the reader can better notice certain characteristics of Jane because they are highlighted by the others similar or opposing characteristics. An example of this is Helen Burns, who serves as a foil for Jane. While Helen is more calm and tolerant, Jane is impulsive and strong-willed. Helen also believes in a forgiving and just God while Jane belives God is vengeful and will smite others. Without the use of other female charaters, the characteristics of Jane may not be as prominent to the reader. We are able to know more about the female characters in this novel because the author herself is female. Therefore, we are given more insight to their thoughts and actions. What views do you think Charlotte Bronte had about gender equality while writing this novel?

lizzytrinh

@adriennedwyer Charlotte Bronte’s feminist views can be seen throughout the novel through her expression through Jane’s dialogue. She also emphasizes the female role in the novel.

lizzytrinh

@hampizza Yes, I believe Jane was positively affected by her friends. For example, Helen Burns was a great influence on Jane in her childhood. I believe women were angry at their subordinate treatment because they felt unfairly treated by societal expectations.

kylethorin

Jane, the protagonist of the book, Jane Eyre, is surrounded by female characters throughout the story. Most of these girls happen to be around the same age as Jane, and in fact, Jane was good friends with most of these, including Helen Burns. But most of these female friends are used to foil Jane, to bring out her personality and characteristics that we might not see otherwise. For example, Helen Burns’ calm and patient personality completely contrasts Jane’s passionate and on-fire personality. Without Burns as a foil for Jane, it is possible that we, as readers, would not get an insight to Jane’s personality. It is possible that we know more about the female characters opposed to the male antagonists because the book was written by a woman, Charlotte Bronte. Gender inequalities were very big during the time this book was written, so Bronte may have written about the roles in reverse, or at least a world where females were equal to men. The story of Jane Eyre is to try and show that women have some of the characteristics that men have. They are strong, courageous, responsible, brave, and many other traits. Our view of Jane’s world might change according to the perspective it was written in, which was a feministic perspective. We might then take approach the book more carefully and less open-minded in the view of a woman, that is if the reader is male. Do you think that Jane Eyre’s writer, Charlotte Bronte, wrote this book just to say that a female is capable of writing as well?

kylethorin

@lizzytrinh I think that Charlotte Bronte may have had a hard time with gender equality in her society because of the way she writes her book. Maybe she lived in a family where her dad was the most prominent figure of the family and told the family to do everything and they had to follow what he said with no choice. If not that personal, then of course the society that she lived in was probably one that holds women lesser to men.

kylethorin

@loganoviatt One’s childhood shapes their life for the future as an adult, at least for the most part. In this case, Jane’s childhood does affect her as an adult, so Bronte made sure to include it in her book, and for the 10-year fast forward, I think that either it was a boring period of time, so Bronte decided not to write about it, or Jane did not undergo through any change in those 10 years.

alleydimel

she uses female characters to bring out Jane’s character. They are her foil characters. They bring out the sides of Jane that we would not see without them. We know more about them becuse Bronte uses them to show us Jane in many different ways. We see her soft side, then her emotional side, and then her angry side. with those characters, it emphasizes it more to us.

alleydimel

@kylethorin i think she did. at that time females were not writers. they were made fun of for it. so, i think part of why she wrote this was to say women can do anything as well as men.

alleydimel

@lizzytrinh i think she saw that men and women were equal. no one gender was superior or inferior to the other.

dchin

@kylethorin I believe that Bronte wrote the book because she wanted to tell her story through an allegory because she used a fake male name when she released te book

dchin

@lizzytrinh i believe she thought females at the time had less rights as men. She wanted that to change because of her book.

dchin

The reason Bronte added more female characters to Jane’s story was because it showed Janes faults and highlighted their strengths. For example, Helen Burns emphasizes jane’s view point on heaven. It is written from a females perspective because it was a female who wrote it. It is easier for a woman to weite from their own gender’s perspective rather than writing from the opposite perspective. Why do you think Bronte used color symbolism

Many of the female characters that surround Jane throughout the story are foils and show us many of Jane’s view that weren’t previously revealed. The character Helen Burns is the antichrist of Jane, and shows us her views of God. Helen believed that God was loving and forgiving. Jane, however, believed that God’s role in her life was to smite all who wrong her. Other women surrounding Jane made her more aware of the social inequality between men and women. Men such as Mr. Brockelhurst are depicted as unkind and cruel. Who do yo think played the most important role in Jane’s life? Why?

@peyton pointer
    I think that Mr. Brockelhurst did influence Jane’s view of men, because he was one of the first men in her life besides her father.

@hallegj
    Jane’s world would be different if she hadn’t met Helen, because we as readers wouldn’t have been able to understand her fully. I also believe that her life would have been difference, because Helen helped Jane realize who she truly was.

Charlotte Bronte populates the novel with female characters near the age of Jane to show diversity in the young girls. Each of the female characters are different in their own way. They are foil characters that help us understand the main character that is Jane. Helen Burns was the complete opposite of Jane, her views, and her thoughts were different. It was different following a girl’s life rather than a boys, and we can see how Jane Eyre was a different type of story as it is written from a girls view.
    What do you think Charlotte Bronte was trying to say about the role of women in her society? How is this different from today?

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.