Forum #2: Book 1 and 2: Humor

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    hallegj

T.H. White uses humor in his book to make the usually darker tale of King Arthur more light-hearted. I think he decided to put this twist on the story to make it an easier read, and to make it different from all the other books on King Arthur. An example of his humor is through the character Merlyn. While Merlyn is an important character in the book, he lives his whole life backwards making him very forgetful. His forgetfulness brings humor into his own life and King Arthur’s life. Another instance in which T.H. White uses humor is through the fight between King Pellinore and Sir Grummore in which it says, “In the first stage King Pellinore and Sir Grummore stood opposite each other for about half an hour, and walloped each other on the helm” (White 67). This brought some humor to the otherwise dark fight because none of them were professionally fighting or jousting. I believe, depending on the tone, that humor definitely has a place in classic literature. Without the use of humor, stories can become boring and very dark. Do you think that T.H. White used the same humor as we do today? Would you have added more humor to the book if you could?

hallegj

@kl1214 I think authors put humor in usually more serious books to add a twist to the book, and to make it a little more light-hearted.

hallegj

@taylornicholas13 I think that if T.H. White would not have used humor that this book would have been excessively more dark. To me, without the use of humor, the book would have seemed more like a history lesson.

lizzytrinh

By T.H. White’s use of humor, he is able to portray a more lighthearted and amusing tone in Book I. White also uses humor to help the reader relate to and understand characters on a more casual basis. Merlyn is viewed as wise and knowledgable, however a more silly and whimsical part of him is revealed when he is first introduced to the novel. When Arthur meets Merlyn for the first time, he tries to make a pencil and piece of paper appear but fails despite his repeated tries. Merlyn then becomes so frustrated that he flies “into a passion in which he said ‘by-our-lady’ quite often” (28). Although Merlyn is known to be a “great magician”, it is ironic that he has not yet honed the skill of conjuring office supplies. The use of humor also adds a sense of lightheartedness to grim circumstances within Book II. Within the sorrowful events of this book, White includes a humorous story about King Pellinore, Sir Grummor, and Palamides. In Chapter 9 of Book II, Sir Grummor and Sir Palomides dress up as the Questing Beast and inform King Pellinore they have spotted “the beast” on the island. However, this plan backfires on them, and the actual Questing Beast mistakes them for one of her own. She then falls in love and chases them all the way to the Morgause’s castle. While White uses humor to, in a sense, “lighten the mood”, the use of his humor is also what makes his novel so relatable and enjoyable for its readers. In what ways does humor take place in our own society? Does that humor positively or negatively effect our relationships with each other?

lizzytrinh

@adriennedwyer White’s incorporation of humor aids in the reader’s entertainment as well as adds versatility to the tone of the novel. It is what keeps the story light rather than somber.

lizzytrinh

@amelia152016 I do not believe White should have made the book more light. In my opinion, his incorporation of humor was the perfect balance to keep the novel lighthearted, while still keeping an aspect of longing from the reader.

alleydimel

White added a lot of humor to the story. One way he did so was through the jokesters of the story. As an example, in book one chapter 7 Sir Grummore challenges King Pellimore to a joust. Instead of a traditional joust, they go back and forth insulting each other and try to fight which ended up not working out very well. They charge one another, but run into a tree instead. When they woke up, they became friends. This brings hilarity and laughter to this otherwise quite serious story. White put humor in the story to keep the readers interested. It for sure made me want to keep reading and kept me turning the pages. Yes, humor belongs in classic literature. Most classic literature is quite serious and a little humor adds an edge and keeps the reader interested in what they are reading.
    Why did the book shift from humor to serious?

alleydimel

@amelia152016 White should not have made the book any lighter than it is. His humor added the perfect edge that made an otherwise serious story just that more interesting to the reader.

alleydimel

@hallegj i would have kept it the way it is. it was the perfect balance for me.

missloock
    Keymaster

Good start. As you continue the conversation, think of this….

Humor can add a mood to any story. But, it doesn’t always have to be light hearted. Many of you have mentioned the humor adds a darker tone to the book.

What do you think? Does White’s humor add a darker tone to the legend? Or does it make a dark legend light?

missloock
    Keymaster

Good start. As you continue the conversation, think of this….

Humor can add a mood to any story. But, it doesn’t always have to be light hearted. Many of you have mentioned the humor adds a darker tone to the book.

What do you think? Does White’s humor add a darker tone to the legend? Or does it make a dark legend light?

Adding humor to this legend is what makes the story so interesting. I think T. H. White added humor because it was such a dark time. Lightening things up a little bit is what made this story great. When humor shows up in the book I think it helps the reader relate to the book even more. Humor gives T. H. White’s version of the Arthurian legend versatility. An example of this humor takes place in book 1 during the confrontation of King Pellinore and Sir Grummore Grummersom. During their duel they continue to shoot insults at one another. The two stood opposite of each other for about half an hour bickering and arguing. White tries to add humor to this part of the story to make it less serious and more entertaining for the reader. When White takes out some of the seriousness during these parts of the story it makes the book very enjoyable. I think White chose to use humor in this version of the Arthurian legend because he wanted to show that even a very serious story can be fun and entertaining. The impression that I got from this classic legend is that even though the story is very serious, it can also be humorous at the same time to give it a twist. I think humor definitely has a place in literature. Without humor, books would have no life and they would be uninteresting. Do you think T. H. White could’ve added even more humor to the story? Is it possible that using humor in this story is disrespecting the Arthurian legend?

@missloock I think humor made this dark legend light. The humor of this story added a twist to the legend and made it more fun for the reader.

@hallegj T.H. White definitely used humor that we use today. I think that’s why this version of the Arthurian legend is more appealing to most readers.

loganoviatt

T. H. White’s addition of humor in his novel is what makes the book a true classic. A concept used in art forms like drawing, painting and illustration is something called ‘composition balance’. If one thing is of dark composition, then the artist must also add something of light composition to balance it out. This balance draws the viewers attention to the work at hand. Such is so in literature. Great works of art can be novels as well, can’t they? Though White holds serious matters in his novel, he also manages to balance it out with occasional humorous diction. The mood of the book may start with a feeling of anxiety and suspense, but soon turns humorous. Such as when in chapter XI, Robin Wood takes Kay and the Wart on an adventure. The party sneakily dances through the forest only to find that the castle they are invading has a moat composed of fresh milk. Also, in chapter IX, when Merlin is giving a life lesson, but struggles to find the right hat with his magic. I think White added humor in his book to add a sort of unpredictability to the story. With each chapter, you are unsure whether it will be serious or light-hearted. For me, the element of humor made it all the more interesting I believe humor has a place in almost any book.
    Did you wish that the novel were darker?

loganoviatt

@kadenheadington I would not call it disrespect to the legend. Everyone is entitled to their own take on something.

loganoviatt

@hallegj The humor that T. H. White used is quite different form today’s standards. The humor he uses is more whimsical and far-fetched. It is as if it comes from the mind of a child.

sarahjwilcox

In The Once and Future King, T.H. White utilizes humor to shape his story. He shapes characters using humor such as Merlyn in Book I Chapter three. Merlyn tries to magically summon a pencil and a piece of paper, but fails every time he tries. This shows that he has a funny personality to go with his short-temperedness and his intelligence. Another example would be when King Pellinore and Sir Grummore Grummersom confront each other and then soon have a joust. They quarreled like children which brings a humorous part to the story. I feel as though T.H. White brought humor into the story to try and lighten the story and keep the readers attention. I really liked the addition of humor in this book it really kept me wanting to read.
    Do you think there should have been more humor throughout the book?

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by sarahjwilcox.
    sarahjwilcox

@missloock I think it made the dark legend light because it keeps the reader’s attention and it made it more interesting when you can see that some of these characters have a humorous side to their personalities.

sarahjwilcox

@adriennedwyer I think he added humor to keep the readers attention and to show the humorous sides of some characters.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.