Forum #3: Book 3: Knights

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    kl1214

@angelicacastaneda I feel that, in all honesty, it was not just Lancelot himself and Guenevere, but also Elaine as well. He had slept with the two and as a result, he felt that he had sinned and lost all meaning in his quests.

kl1214

@amelia152016 I do not think that it was selfish for Lancelot to leave Elaine because she deceived him into losing his virginity to her, something that he cherished deeply. I do, however, do not think that it was right for him to leave the baby she was going to give birth to. Every child needs a father figure in their life.

@amelia152016 I also think that Lancelot did the right thing to leave Elaine; she was just holding him back from what he was after.

@taylornicholas13 I think the reason why Guenevere, Arthur, and Elaine were able to see past Lancelots ugliness because they didn’t care that he was ugly. They all saw nothing but lancelot’s good heart, and that’s all that matters.

hallegj

In society today, finding our identity can be very difficult. With all the distractions and expectations put on us from society, it can be easy to forget or lose our identity. This was the same for those living in the Middle Ages, especially for Lancelot. Although he is labeled as the best knight, he struggles because he grows up knowing and hearing that he is ugly. When he is young, he finds his identity in being a “holy boy.” However as he grows up and becomes a knight, he begins to fall away from the Lord and Christianity. He struggles with the love he has for Guinevere, King Arthur’s wife. When Guinevere catches him sleeping with Elaine his whole world comes crashing down. As a result he fully loses his identity and becomes a crazy, mad man. As time goes on, people help him to regain his identity in both knighthood and Christianity. Through the trials that come his way, he gains more confidence in his identity and his faith. Do you think Lancelot and Guinevere’s love could ever completely end? Do you think Guinevere has a stronger love for Lancelot than King Arthur?

hallegj

@taylornicholas13 I think Guinevere, Arthur, and Elaine were able to see past Lancelot’s ugliness because of his character and the amount of chivalry he displayed.

Every teenager goes through something like what we see with Sir Lancelot. We all go on our little “journey” to discover who we really are; especially though highschool. Lancelot was known to be one on the best knights in the would. He was great; but he also was known as “the holy boy” as a youngster. We see him take wrong turns in the book, including being with Elaine; but we also see Lancelot pause and reevaluate his life and repent from his mistakes. In the end, Lancelot makes the right decision, the only one that really counts.. He chose God. What is one mistake you think Lancelot probably wished he could take back?

hallegj

@angelicacastaneda I think that it was Lancelot’s own fault that he struggled to find his identity because it was his choice to sleep with Guinevere. If he knew he was tempted by her, he should have completely taken her out of his life. However, I believe Guinevere should take responsibility for the unfaithfulness to her husband, and the temptations she provided to Lancelot.

Throughout book 3, Lancelot struggled with his identity. As a young boy, Lancelot strived to be holy and to be the greatest knight in all the land. He spent his childhood days with his uncle, training for his knighthood. At first, Lancelot found himself to be in love with King Arthur, but later, he grew to fall in love with Guenever, King Arthur’s beloved wife. This forbidden love caused Lancelot to go on a series of quests, all contributing to his self-discovery. After saving many damsels in distress and fellow knights, Lancelot fulfilled his identity of being the greatest knight in all the land and a ‘holy’ man. Unfortunately, after lowering his guard, Lancelot is tricked by Elaine, a damsel he had previously saved, and finds himself no longer ‘pure’, leading him to pursue a love affair with Guenever. His identity begins to fall to pieces. In an attempt to regain a proper identity, Lancelot embarks on a quest for the Holy Grail, resulting in his decision to be a man of God. However, due to his weakness with Guenever and Elaine, his identity of being a man of God is held back from him. Similar to Lancelot’s situation, it can be difficult to find our own identities in modern society. It can be difficult to avoid temptations, and more often than not, we fall into them hindering our abilities to discover our ‘true’ selves. Would Lancelot have been able to pursue his identity had he not fallen in love with Guenever and been tricked by Elaine?

@hallegj Personally, I don’t think that the love affair between Lancelot and Guenever will end. Despite bipolar feelings from both parties, Lancelot and Guenever both maintained soft spots in their hearts for each other, revealing a deep connection and love for one another.

@davidanthony01 I think the one mistake Lancelot wishes he could take back was when he had let his guard down and was tricked by Elaine. Even though Lancelot said he had come to love Elaine, he never kept his promise to come back to her and stay with her, leading me to believe that he had never started to love Elaine at all.

cjscherer

In society today, finding our identity is the obsession of life. People try to find it in their possessions, their career, who they love, or what accomplishments they do. The only place to truly find our identities is in God, for only he alone can satisfy. We can try to look in other places, but the things of the world will always leave a gap that needs to be filled. It doesn’t matter what you do with your life, the world is a desert and Christ is the living water that never runs dry when we abide ourselves in him. That is where we find our identity. After all, what better place to find who we are than the one who made us who we are. Do you think that Lancelot’s quest for the grail positively affected him, or did it make him lose sight of what is important?

cjscherer

@adriennedwyer
    I don’t think he would have because those events defined him and shaped his destiny and his viewing of the world around him

cjscherer

@davidanthony01
    I think Lancelot regrets having fallen in love with Queneviere because it prevented him from getting the grail and, as he sees it, tarnished his soul.

lizzytrinh

In Book 3, it is revealed that Lancelot struggles with difficult temptations. While he lives his life to a standard of morality and righteousness, he struggles to fight his love for Guenever, Arthur’s wife, and becomes faced between following morality or his feelings towards her. Unable to continue to resist temptation, Lancelot ultimately sleeps with Guenever. In the end, I do not believe Lancelot discovers his true purpose. He becomes so blinded by his lusts that he fails to remain faithful to the fundamental beliefs he grew up on. Despite his ability to still perform miracles, Lancelot feels that he can no longer save himself because of his mistakes, and becomes lost in his identity. Like Lancelot, people in today’s society can easily be misled into temptations. What do you think would be different if Lancelot had not slept with Guenever? What were the causes of his “ill-fate”?

lizzytrinh

@davidanthony01 One mistake I believe Lancelot wishes he could he could retrieve is being tricked by Elaine into sleeping with her. Lancelot appears to be primarily in love with Guenever, and originally sleeps with Elaine under the impression that she is Guenever. When Lancelot does not come back to Elaine, it shows that he never truly cared for her like he does for Guenever.

lizzytrinh

@taylornicholas13 I believe Guenever, Arthur, and Elaine are able to see past Lancelot’s uglyness because of his character. Lancelot is described to be a chivalrous and honorable man, thus allowing them to look past his looks and see his true self.

dchin

In the third installment of T.H. White’s Once and Future King, we talk about Sir Lancelot and his journey. On his quest for self knowledge he goes through many adventures and trials which form his identity. He also has been influenced by King Arthur because he follows the rules and codes of chivalry he had placed. Likewise in our society, we have many influences, trials, and people who help us find our identity. Influences may be God or whatever religion you have chosen. Trials are probably which forms the most character. It breaks you down and whatever is left standing is your true identity. In Sir Lancelot’s journey he is considered as the best knight in the world. Sadly, he does not believe this. Instead he loathes himself and has self pity. Lancelot also was humbled by being beaten by his own son Galahad. He then dedicated his life to being a true man of God. His ties with Elaine were ended once she committed suicide. Meanwhile, Guinevere lets Lancelot become his own man. In the end, Sir Lancelot has committed many sins, but is still able to preform a miracle. He cries because of all the wrongs he had done, but he is still able to preform a miracle. This makes a miracle’s worth a lot less. Even though he healed the man, he does not think of himself as the best knight in the world. He is able to heal the man, but was not able to heal himself. Do you think that Arthur should have confronted Lancelot and Guinevere about their affair? If so how?

dchin

@adriennedwyer I believe his identity was formed with the help of Guinevere and Elaine. So he would have found his identity, but it would not have been the same one. Elaine caused Lancelot troubles in his affair with Guinevere which caused him to go mad. Guinevere caused problems with Lancelot’s friendship with King Arthur.

dchin

@davidanthony01 I believe Sir Lancelot would take back the one night he had with Elaine. He would not have had a son or anyone tying him down. He would have not gone mad and he also would have had a better affair with Guinevere. Although that last statement sounded disturbing, Sir Lancelot was happy when he was with Guinevere. When Arthur was gone for 12 months, Guinevere and Lancelot had the happiest time.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.