Forum #4: The Entire Novel

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    alleydimel

The quote displays a similar theme to the Once and Future King. It is about wanting more than that is given or laid out for you. For instance Gareth was sweet and non-violent, as where his brothers were the exact opposite. The four Orkney boys wanted to capture a unicorn to give to their mum. Agravine decided to slay the unicorn all of a sudden. Gareth wanted it alive for their mum. Like the quote, Gareth was not about killing a rare creature and would rather kill something more common like a bird or chipmunk.

alleydimel

@amelia152016 I think that Gareth is a better friend than Lancelot. Lancelot lied and betrayed a lot of people as where Gareth was loyal to people.

alleydimel

@davidanthony01 I think his future would have been different. I think that he would have tried to change certain things and cut certain people out to ensure he had a good reign.

kl1214

The quote from Goshawk has a rather similar theme to Once and Future King. It talks about wanting to do something else rather than what is assigned to you. An example of this, would be Agravaine. The Orkney brothers had decided to capture a unicorn to please their mother. They persuade a kitchen maid into playing a virgin, binding her to a tree in the forest. A unicorn appears and lays its head in the kitchen maid’s lap with grace and majesty. Agravaine, seized by a fit of passion, kills the unicorn, yelling incoherently that the girl is his mother and the unicorn has dared to put its head in her lap. Do you think this a foreshadowing for when Morgause is killed by Agravaine?

kl1214

@ashleyfabella If Merlyn had not taken Arthur on adventures, Arthur would not have gained real, solid experience.

kl1214

@angelicacastaneda Without Merlyn, well, there would be no legend. Merlyn is an essential ‘part’ in Arthur’s life, without him, Arthur would not be king. He would not be as wise as he was later on in the book.

hallegj

This quote displays King Arthur’s life pretty accurately. As a young boy Arthur has great morals and wants the best for England. However, as time goes on it seems as if his plans for England will go to waste because he is destined to be a squire for Kay. Although it seems as if his good will is going to waste, his true fate comes true, and he becomes king. Since he becomes king he is able to put his good will to use. Without becoming king, Arthur would have had no say, and his good morals would have been a waste. Do you think that without Merlyn, Arthur would have still become king? If not what would have happened to England?

hallegj

@kylethorin I think T.H. White made Agravaine, Galahad, and many others a wasted to talent to act as foil characters to those who used their talents for good.

hallegj

@hampizza I do not think that King Arthur could ever have reached his full potential because I think he was distracted by always trying to deny that Lancelot and Guenever were having an affair. Not to mention there were many other people in his life that got in the way of him reaching his full potential.

kirarobbins

Most people would rather immediately go to war and fight people than just sit and enjoy life. There always must be someone to fight against and there always must be some sort of hate. I believe this quote is clearly shown in the book with the hatred of Mordred towards his father, and the Orkneys hatred against Pellinore’s family, or just Agravaine’s hatred for everything in general. In Arthur’s final recap he speaks about humans fighting their wars over imaginary borders in imaginary corners as well. People must hate someone or they just do not know what to do with themselves. I may have interpreted the quote a bit differently than most people I suppose… Do you believe always must have someone to discriminate against and hate? How could the world have been different if there was not pointless hate and war among people?

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by kirarobbins.
    kirarobbins

@dmclucky I believe if Arthur had never met Merlyn he would have been cocky, and not as simple and compassionate as he was.

kirarobbins

@amelia152016 Gareth does seem a better friend than Lancelot seeing Lancelot had often went behind his back and happen to be in love with his wife. Gareth always was kind and told the truth to everyone. He was sweet and loving and easily a better choice to put Arthur’s trust in.

I’m not going to lie but when I was reading all the comments and quotes, a lot of them were focused on saying this quote is exactly like Arthur’s life and his destiny, but tbh is it actually? I mean for one, the whole novel is not just about Arthur. You have The four brothers, and Lancealot and Merlyn and many others who had just as big a part impacting you as Arthur did. At the beginning Arthur was just a kid who followed around a strong brother (ish) figure who wasn’t soups nice to him and then met an old magician who taught him life lessons by turning him into different animals. He then all of the sudden pulled out a sword from a stone and then became king. Later on he struggled with the thoughts of war and laws and resulted in a man who had gained a whole nation but lost a whole part of himself in the process. I think that the quote doesn’t really have much to do with Arthur at all because when reading the quote it sounded like a man being told to do something that everyone else was doing but inside he wanted to still do what he was doing. Arthur wasn’t being told to do anything (One of which was because he was king) but also he made the decisions (when he was king) on his own (most of the time). The man from the quote was being told to do something, went along with it but still cared and wanted to do what he was already doing. I don’t see the similarities between the quote and the book and if I am supposed to, whoops I tried. I think the quote is a false statement and the book is on a whole other level of what White tried to get across to his readers.

@kirarobbins I think 1) people would still find a way to start wars and find hate for things/people/etc. 2) I think there would be more tension if there wasn’t pointless hate and war because than actual hate and actual war would break out. Or ya know it would be peaceful and great and full of rainbows. It could probs go either way.

@ashleyfabella I just think there wouldn’t be any life lessons and Arthur wouldn’t have super awesome tales to tell of becoming a fish and stuff.

One way that the quote from “The Goshawk” relates to King Arthur’s life is that, given his status as king, he is motivated to act serious and responsible. The concept of this quote is embodied by Arthur’s life philosophy that “might is only to be used for right.” Hence, it is a true statement that just because one has the “talent” to kill a person, sometimes it is better to direct your abilities into an activity that is less harmful to society, in this case, hunting rabbits.
    Why do you think that Arthur changes his ideal from “might makes right” to “might is only to be used for right?”

@lizzytrinh Yes, I think that if Merlyn told Arthur about his fate to be king he would have been more self-righteous, thereby making him unworthy to pull the sword from the stone.

@angeliacastaneda Arthur would not have any wisdom to guide him in his journey as king and would not have been as successful in making England a better place,

@angeliacastaneda Arthur would not have any wisdom to guide him in his journey as king and would not have been as successful in making England a better place,

@amelia152016 I agree haha

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 83 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.