Forum 9.22: Why Do We Mythologize

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    missloock
    Keymaster

Why do we mythologize? Some experts would say, we do it to satisfy our natural, healthy craving to live in a world which is understandable but entertaining. Yet, others would still argue that that is not enough. View the choices for why we mythologize below, then chose one of the reasons listed and give your opinion to why your choice satisfies the question… Why do we mythologize?

** Please remember to end your post in a question, so your fellow peers can respond.***

**Myths grant continuity and stability to a culture.They foster a shared set of perspectives, values, history. Through these communal tales, we are connected to one another, to our ancestors, to the natural world surrounding us, and to society; and, through the myths which have universal (i.e., archetypal) themes, we are connected to other cultures.

++Myths present guidelines for living.When myths tell about the activities and attitudes of deities, the moral tone implies society’s expectations for our own behaviors and standards. In myths, we see archetypal situations and some of the options which can be selected in those situations; we also perceive the rewards and other consequences which resulted from those selections.

++ Myths justify a culture’s activities. Through their authoritativeness and the respected characters within them, myths establish a culture’s customs, rituals, religious tenets, laws, social structures, power hierarchies, territorial claims, arts and crafts, holidays and other recurring events, and technical tips for hunting, warfare, and other endeavors.

++Myths give meaning to life. We transcend our common life into a world in which deities interact with humans, and we can believe that our daily actions are part of the deities’ grand schemes. In our difficulties, the pain is more bearable because we believe that the trials have meaning; we are suffering for a bigger cause rather than being battered randomly. And when we read that a particular deity experienced something which we are now enduring — perhaps a struggle against “evil forces” — we can feel that our own struggle might have a similar cosmic or archetypal significance, though on a smaller scale.

++ Myths explain the unexplained. They reveal our fate after death, and the reasons for crises or miracles, and other puzzles — and yet they retain and even encourage an aura of mystery. Myths also satisfy our need to understand the natural world; for example, they might state that a drought is caused by an angry deity. This purpose of mythology was especially important before the advent of modern science, which offered the Big Bang theory to replace creation myths, and it gave us the theory of evolution to supplant myths regarding the genesis of humanity. And yet, science creates its own mythology.

++ Myths offer role models. In particular, children pattern themselves after heroes; comic books and Saturday-morning cartoons depict many archetypal characters, such as Superman and Wonder Woman. Adults, too, can find role models, in the stories of deities’ strength, persistence, and courage.

Citation: mythome.org

I chose ++ Myths justify a culture’s activities. Through their authoritativeness and the respected characters within them, myths establish a culture’s customs, rituals, religious tenets, laws, social structures, power hierarchies, territorial claims, arts and crafts, holidays and other recurring events, and technical tips for hunting, warfare, and other endeavors.

Myths are the foundation which we as humans live upon. We were created to worship but since we are born into a fallen world we are lost, thus leading humans to make up their own gods to worship. Mythology is filled with different dynamics of characters which were made up in order to become a relatable source for the people. These gods created a sense of purpose to the people for example if a person was struggling and a god underwent the same ordeal and succeeded, then the person would feel as if he would have the same outcome. This gave the people the feeling of safety and security. Myths give humans a sense of history as to where they came from and who they are. Do you think that with darkness there also is life? because think about it, these myths presented bad morals but also drove the people to create beautiful artifacts and agricultural history. With God somehow sin came along (Satan) so do you think with chaos and destruction there will always be life and love?

alexharakas

I agree with the first statement :**Myths grant continuity and stability to a culture.They foster a shared set of perspectives, values, history. Through these communal tales, we are connected to one another, to our ancestors, to the natural world surrounding us, and to society; and, through the myths which have universal (i.e., archetypal) themes, we are connected to other cultures.

Throughout world history, countless patterns of continuity are prevalent in every era. People have the universal basic physical and emotional needs, which is evident throughout these continuities.This proves that something about human nature longs for connectedness to one another, and myths can provide that connection. Themes throughout these myths connect the similar feelings between humans, uniting all of humankind through the characters’ experiences and values. What do you think are some of the universal emotional or physical needs of humankind?

alexharakas

@amelianavarro
    I do not think that darkness can produce light, nor evil good. “Good” or perfection resembles a completely straight wire, and evil and darkness resembles a bent wire. The perfect goodness and straight wire was tainted (Bent) with evil. Evil has the same roots as goodness, but was misled somewhere along the course through selfish intention becoming corrupted.I do think that good things can come out of evil. Looking at this from a biblical standpoint, God can always make good things out of evil, and he promises that to those who love him.

@alexharakas
    Some emotional needs of humankind are to worship something or someone. This is because it’s in our nature from God who created us in order to worship him.

I agree with: ++ Myths explain the unexplained. They reveal our fate after death, and the reasons for crises or miracles, and other puzzles — and yet they retain and even encourage an aura of mystery. Myths also satisfy our need to understand the natural world; for example, they might state that a drought is caused by an angry deity. This purpose of mythology was especially
    important before the advent of modern science, which offered the Big Bang theory to replace creation myths, and it gave us the theory of evolution to supplant myths regarding the genesis of humanity. And yet, science creates its own mythology.

I agree with this statement, because mythology was origninally created by the Greeks to explain the unexplained.

Why do you think that mythologies views and ideas are detail oriented?

@amelianavarro
    I disagree with mythologies view that good came from evil, because evil was originally good. No one would be able to tell if the world was truly evil if there wasn’t anything good to compare it to in the first place. However, in different circumstances I believe that God can change a person’s intentions and use the bad for good.

I chose ++ ++Myths present guidelines for living.

Almost all tales of Greek mythology have aspects that human beings can relate to. The tales of Greek mythology consist of stories about love, hardship, bravery, persistence, or courage. When humans read about these stories and how these almighty gods conquered their hardships, it offers an example to humans as to how their every day issues should be handled and which favorable attributes should be expressed. Humans view the lives of these gods as guidelines as to how their own lives should be lived. Why do human beings feel the need to base their own lives off of another’s, let alone the lives of “almighty” gods?

@amelianavarro There is always a brighter side to everything. In the sense of Greek mythology, the brighter side of chaos and darkness is life and love.

@taylornicholas13 I think that mythology’s views and ideas are detail oriented so human beings are provided with a somewhat believable explaination in hopes to explain the otherwise unexplainable.

@adriennedwyer
    I think that we as a people idolize others in the way they live or their life choices. Basing our lives upon another’s is Simply because we covet what they have.

kirarobbins

Myths explain the unexplained. As human beings we always require a reason why something happens. Earthquakes shake the earth, but why? The moon changes the tides, but why? Back in the ancient times we had no way of explaining these strange occurrences, so we used mythology and the strange stories of god and goddess ruling and controlling the tides and earth to explain why these circumstances occur. This gave us that explanation we humans need. Why do you believe people need explanations? Why gods and goddess’s of all things did we choose to explain these occurrences?

kirarobbins

@adriennedwyer I feel we human beings need to base our lives on something such as all mighty gods because we want some greater being to look up to instead of some normal person like ourselves. As humans we want something stronger and a more powerful being just to exist.

kirarobbins

@amelianavarro I believe there must always be love and life in the midst of darkness for the sake of balance. Without balance the world just does not work. Balance must exist for the world to work.

I chose **Myths grant continuity and stability to a culture.They foster a shared set of perspectives, values, history. Through these communal tales, we are connected to one another, to our ancestors, to the natural world surrounding us, and to society; and, through the myths which have universal (i.e., archetypal) themes, we are connected to other cultures.

I think this statement is very true. When we have stories or beliefs that we share with one another, we feel connected. These myths take people back to the myths that their ancestors told each other. These myths that are told, bring other cultures together because people can relate to the same stories and life lessons. When people have just a little piece of their ancestors, they feel connected and they treasure the stories that were once told. People mythologize so they can teach the people that come after them, their values and history. Can myths be so strong that they can change people’s life styles?

@kirarobbins I thing they had gods explain these occurrences to show us that there are no perfect people. Even the almighty gods who rule the earth have their problems too.

@alexharakas Emotional needs that humans have are that we need to have a superior being. When we look at the end of our lives, we need something to look forward to after life. If we had no superior being or hope of life after death, we would be lost and depressed.

I agree with:++ Myths explain the unexplained. They reveal our fate after death, and the reasons for crises or miracles, and other puzzles — and yet they retain and even encourage an aura of mystery. Myths also satisfy our need to understand the natural world; for example, they might state that a drought is caused by an angry deity. This purpose of mythology was especially important before the advent of modern science, which offered the Big Bang theory to replace creation myths, and it gave us the theory of evolution to supplant myths regarding the genesis of humanity. And yet, science creates its own mythology.
    I agree with this statement because the Greeks created mythology to answer and explain their unanswered questions about life.
    Do you think the Greeks fully answered their questions about life and how it was created?

@taylornicholas13 I think that the Greeks made mythology so detailed because it helped them believe that what they were creating was actually true.

@kadenheadington I think that myths can definitely influence what a person believes in, but I do not think that it can actually change someone’s life style.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 62 total)
  • The topic ‘Forum 9.22: Why Do We Mythologize’ is closed to new replies.