Forum 9.22: Why Do We Mythologize

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Author

I agree with ++ Myths offer role models. In particular, children pattern themselves after heroes; comic books and Saturday-morning cartoons depict many archetypal characters, such as Superman and Wonder Woman. Adults, too, can find role models, in the stories of deities’ strength, persistence, and courage.
    Myths are created to tell tales of heroes and adventures that are very interesting to read. If they weren’t interesting, people wouldn’t read any myths and the myths would die. Children idolize super heroes because the children think that having superpowers are fun and cool. Although not every parent thinks highly of this, it is better for a child to have a fictional role model who does good than a real person who commits crimes. Everybody wanted to be a super hero at some point in their life because they thought it would be fun to help others when trouble comes. Who was your favorite super hero and why did you choose him or her or it?

@alexharakas Every human has a need to be loved; whether they realize it or not. Every person is different and has unique characteristics, but deep down inside humans share one thing in particular; which is to be loved and accepted by others.

@adriennedywer People compare themselves to other people because they want to see if they are superior or inferior to another person. They compare themselves, and in doing so, bring despair on themselves because they are not as good as this person; or they fill themselves with pride and think that they are superior over people that are not as good as them.

kantakato1

Myths explain the unexplained. They reveal our fate after death, and the reasons for crises or miracles, and other puzzles — and yet they retain and even encourage an aura of mystery. Myths also satisfy our need to understand the natural world; for example, they might state that a drought is caused by an angry deity. This purpose of mythology was especially important before the advent of modern science, which offered the Big Bang theory to replace creation myths, and it gave us the theory of evolution to supplant myths regarding the genesis of humanity. And yet, science creates its own mythology.

I think that this is very true because everything always has to have an explanation or things are always asked “why?” All the occurrences that happen in the world are somewhat strange because no one really knows why they really happen. It is just a regular thing to us but if we experience it for the very first time it would be very strange of why the earth shakes at times, or why water falls from the sky. This is why people look back at mythology due to the gods and goddess that control all the different things that happen. The gods and goddess’ are the best explanation to these occurrences because they all have there different stories of what they did. What other things can explain the many occurrences that happen today?

• This reply was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by kantakato1.
    kantakato1

@kadenheadington I think that myths can be strong enough to change people because of how everyone thinks and what everyone believes in.

kantakato1

@adriennedwyer I think that people base of off other because they feel that they have to be a certain way or they want someone to look up to and idolize.

dmcluckey

I chose ++ Myths explain the unexplained. They reveal our fate after death, and the reasons for crises or miracles, and other puzzles — and yet they retain and even encourage an aura of mystery. Myths also satisfy our need to understand the natural world; for example, they might state that a drought is caused by an angry deity. This purpose of mythology was especially important before the advent of modern science, which offered the Big Bang theory to replace creation myths, and it gave us the theory of evolution to supplant myths regarding the genesis of humanity. And yet, science creates its own mythology.
    For those who believe in Mythology, it explains the unexplainable. For example, if there is an earthquake or drought, they can just blame it on angry gods. Also, if there is any confusing things where the educated people do not get the reason of anything, they can just put it in the “gods caused this” section, of the unexplained. It is also an explanation to where the afterlife is. So, that is why people back then believed in mythology, to explain the unexplainable. some of the gods seem believable, but which gods see the most believable?

dmcluckey

@kadenheadington yes, I think myths can be strong enough to change people’s lifestyle’s by how people would make contributions to gods to please them.

dmcluckey

@talornicholas13 I think mythology’s views and ideas are detail oriented because it has many gods, so it has to be detailed enough for people to believe in the stories.

I agree with ++ Myths explain the unexplained. They reveal our fate after death, and the reasons for crises or miracles, and other puzzles — and yet they retain and even encourage an aura of mystery. Myths also satisfy our need to understand the natural world; for example, they might state that a drought is caused by an angry deity. This purpose of mythology was especially important before the advent of modern science, which offered the Big Bang theory to replace creation myths, and it gave us the theory of evolution to supplant myths regarding the genesis of humanity. And yet, science creates its own mythology.
    I think we mythologize because we are curious and we want to understand. We are curious on questions that are not easy to explain. We mythologize to satisfy our curious thinking. People believe in the Big Bang Theory because they wonder how things came to be. They take their thought, and make something to believe in. Every human was created with a sense of questioning like how things occur. People created stories and myths to explain the unexplainable.
    -How can we separate the myths from what is actually true? Do you think that people today go and read mythology to get answers on the unexplainable?

Daniel Chu

I chose ++Myths give meaning to life. We transcend our common life into a world in which deities interact with humans, and we can believe that our daily actions are part of the deities’ grand schemes. In our difficulties, the pain is more bearable because we believe that the trials have meaning; we are suffering for a bigger cause rather than being battered randomly. And when we read that a particular deity experienced something which we are now enduring — perhaps a struggle against “evil forces” — we can feel that our own struggle might have a similar cosmic or archetypal significance, though on a smaller scale.

Almost every culture has had some form of religion. Most religions revolve around good and bad. When communities have religions, it gives people a sense of personal accountability. This helps in keeping down crimes, because now people are not allowed to do everything they desire to. Also, every bad or good thing that happens can be explained as the gods interfering with normal, everyday life. During wartimes, people are willing to fight, because they believe they are going to some afterlife anyway. These myths give meaning to all the good and bad things that occur during people’s lifetime. Do you think that the Greeks created a believable explanation of the creation and the world right now?

@Kirarobbins – I think we need explanations because we have many questions and thoughts that cannot be left unexplained. Every day we look for explanations even in the littlest things we still wonder because we are all just curious.

Daniel Chu

@kantakato1 We can explain many of the phenomena by science. Science has explained many of the different aspects of the world.

Daniel Chu

@ashleyfabella I chose Green Lantern, because he can create anything out of willpower. He is brave and courageous and does not have any fear toward any enemies.

@Taylornicholas13 – I think mythologies views and ideas are so detail oriented because it makes it more believable. I think that more detail makes anything sound intriguing.

@peytonpointer

I think that the Greeks answered questions to creation as well as hey could have. Their myths are full of detail and answer many questions to their view of creation.

dchin

I agree with ++ Myths explain the unexplained. They reveal our fate after death, and the reasons for crises or miracles, and other puzzles — and yet they retain and even encourage an aura of mystery. Myths also satisfy our need to understand the natural world; for example, they might state that a drought is caused by an angry deity. This purpose of mythology was especially important before the advent of modern science, which offered the Big Bang theory to replace creation myths, and it gave us the theory of evolution to supplant myths regarding the genesis of humanity. And yet, science creates its own mythology.

This argument,in my opinion, makes the most sense. As humans, we have the tremendous urge to know what is unknown. In the even of an earthquake, storm, or any other natural occurrence, we have the need to know what causes them. Myths give us some story on why things happen. Do you think that Greek mythology is a viable belief in todays society??

dchin

@hampizza I believe that the Greeks made a believable explanation to how the world was created in the time it was created. Today, I think their belief’s would be knocked down with science showing how all their “gods” started things like rain, droughts, and wind.

dchin

@ashleyfabella My favorite superhero by far is the flash. The main reason he is my favorite is because of the tv show. The show just portrays him as such a nice and likable guy to hangout with. The addition of super speed is also amazing because you can do many things in a short amount of time. Imagine doing all of the AP homework in under a minute. Dream. Come. True.

serrato1

I agree with all of them. Here is the way I can best explain it; myths give us this stability and foundation on what we place our life in while showing us how to live and showing us how to do things and what to do by telling us who did those things and they did them and why you should do it because it was important that they did helping us to understand or place things we don’t get to make applicable to our lives which gives us a meaning to life and a reason to live knowing that its all not for nothing and that there is a bigger picture that we are apart of. Ok, so let me expound on the very confusing way I have put it. As humans we naturally need to put our trust in something whether it be a god or a story we need something we believe is true and that we can trust will provide a sufficient source of support to put our faith in. But to do so we need to follow by example because as humans we have a natural tendency to follow a figure whether it be a rule book or those just around us we need a source to show us how to live our lives and what is considered socially acceptable and hot to become socially acceptable and to do so we look at things around us to tell us what they are. So when we have theses myths doing exactly that its hard for us not to shift towards this output of ideas. This idea though of just following a list does not quench this search to fit, but when we get examples especially humanistic examples we try to be these role models it gives us a guideline to follow and different ways of following because though we say we want to be individual our nature tell us to be different and singled out is not a good thing and to be like the crowd just in a personalized way is the way to go about things. We cant just do this all the time because our natural curiosity of how things work and where did they come and why are we here kick in and these myths give us these explanations and answer our questions. Whether or not they are true was not the matter it was the quenching of the questions and doubt was the concern. And knowing these questions of our origin and having these answers for living life gave us the reason and meaning for life and that’s all we really want is to know that this life counts for something and its not just fleeting moments of nothing, but that there is a goal in the end. Whether that be attaining social status or pleasing the gods it gave us a standard to strive for daily. What is the cause for us wanting a logical explanation of our origins?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • The topic ‘Forum 9.22: Why Do We Mythologize’ is closed to new replies.