Why Do We Mythologize?

Viewing 16 posts - 61 through 76 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    zachscally

i would say that Greek mythology is almost a forgotten element to the world, except for those who have grown up with it and believe in it from being a child. because we have to the scientific evidences, scientists are able to unveil the truth behind the creating of the world, and the myths of mythology. Thus, proving the nonexistence of these “gods,” people have better inferences to the creation of the world.

@laurenserafica

@zachscally Yes, I think that the main reason for mythologizing is to explain events that took place that could not be explained any other way. On the contrary, I also can see reason behind the other points that Ms Loock mentioned in her prompt (ex: myths give stability or reason to cultures). They could all potentially be useful explanations as to why people mythologize.

In relation to what @colelundgren, @joshuasegoviano, and @aubreypembroke asked, mythology can be found in today, especially pertaining to the origins of the earth. For instance, a lot of scientists speculate that aliens seeded the earth. That is somewhat like Greek mythology in the way that it is assigning something that can’t be explained to an alien, which is in place of a mythological god. What are some of the disastrous effects of believing in absolute truths?

@isaiahlee25 I do believe that science is lacking part of the time in explaining natural disasters. It can provide explanations for some catastrophes but not all can be explained with only the knowledge we have on this earth. Truthfully, God is the only reliable explanation for everything and we can trust that he will provide us with knowledge to understand.

Keilah G

The Greeks came up with these stories to explain the unexplained.For centries, the human race has tried to figure out life’s unanswered questions. Why am I here? Where do I go after I die? For the Greeks, mythology provides what others cannot figure out. For example, if there is a mighty thunderstorm and the waves are relentless and distructive, one who believes in mythology can assume that Zeus and Poseidon are having a extravagant argument on Mr. Olymus. Why do you suppose they had the Greek gods and goddess relate more to the human race, instead of a perfect, omnipresent God?

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by Keilah G.
    Keilah G

@allisonkillough

We all have our own reasons for reading methology, but some people out there just want something to believe in. People like Ovid proposed these ideas to show a possible reason for our existence.

Keilah G

@aubreypem

I can’t imagine the world being much different if Greek mythology never existed. To really know how different the world would be, we would need to know how much the world was affected by mythology. Since there was no logical or scientific reason for the existence of the universe yet, people created more of a fun, humorous way of how we came to exist. Considering that there was a god for everything, the people of ancient Greece could have presumed that the reason for their misfortune was that the gods were not pleased. If not for mythology, who would they have to blame?

colelundgren

@Joseph C.

I think the reason that atheists believe that there is no God is because something very upsetting has happened in their life and in those times of trouble we will always look for that superior being for help and some people just won’t get that help for a reason. That reason, well no one knows what is is, but it leave us in wonder on why God does all these things. If that happened to a certain person and they didn’t have a strong connection and say that there had to be a reason for this certain circumstance to happen, well they would probably become an atheist. So, to answer you question, I believe that
    atheists have such a strong disbelief for God because it’s incredibly hard for them to believe in something they can’t see, feel, or most importantly communicate with God the way they want to. Do you think people just claim they’re atheists because they are confused?

blackbox010

Nathanielnavarro99@gmail.com
    Mythology is a way of conveying the big questions every non Christain asks, where did we come from? Who created us? What was in the beginning of time? These questions the Greeks answered by mythologizing them into stories of Gods and Titans and that the life was just there and happened. They did this because they didn’t know and that it was the best way to substitute for the truth about creation. Many other people have created and mythologized other stories or ideas about the beginning of life because they resist to know the truth given to them already.

kulekat11

@colelundgren

No. People claim to be atheists, because they believe there to be no god. People who are held confused with no right or wrong theology too point to are called agnostic. Agnostics believe that neither beliefs are held accountable with trustworthy facts.

we mythologize to explain the unexplainable, and by we, I mean the ancient Greeks. they used the creation of gods and mythology to explain what they couldn’t understand. natural disasters, plentiful times, or times of great need were all due to a god in ancient culture. even now, as mythology is being put towards the back of the shelf, we are trying to make explanations for the unexplained. scientists tried to create the big bang and evolution to justify our existence. my question is: if the “gods” had never been thought up, would more people of ancient times more likely have turned to biblical writings to explain the unexplained?

@Keilah G
    I believe that the ancient Greeks wanted there gods to be humanlike with powers so that they could relate to them but still have a divine answer for the unexplained.

@amandaatraann
    I don’t think that current Greeks that hadn’t been raised in the culture of mythology would believe it in this day and age. there is so much more to choose from now that mythology would hardly be anyone’s go to.

The use of myths is to explain the unexplainable. The Greeks, Romans, and various ancient cultures used mythology to give purpose to life. They needed a reason why things happened not just that it was random chance. However, mythology is significantly random from a Christian’s point of view. Mythology explained the creation of the universe, seasons, emotions, and everyday occurrences. In more present times, myths are used in fictional historical scientific stories, like evolution. My question is, with the acceptance of mythology in the past times and the acceptance of the Big Bang Theory in modern times, do humans need the idea of a tangible beginning no matter which culture or time period?

@colelundgren No, I believe people claim to be atheist because they just plainly believe there is no God, but they still want an explanation for unexplainable occurrences in life which leads to a lot of atheists using science as an explanation.

@christadiaz111 I think more of them could have potentially turned to God as a source of explanation, but at the same time, it could have lead to more creative religions or ideologies.

Viewing 16 posts - 61 through 76 (of 76 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.