Forum #2: Book 1 and 2: Humor

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    cjscherer

T. H. White included quite a bit of humor in The Once and Future King. He Mainly focuses this humor around the character of Merlin. Besides being born backwards in time, Merlin is an odd chap to begin with. His silly habits and odd adventures lead to good bits of humor that will keep readers entertained for a whole book of adventure.

cjscherer

This is the question to go with my last post, do you think that there is more humor ahead in the book or are the lighter times behind us?

cjscherer

@angelicacastaneda
    I believe that the humor needs to fit the story’s progression. As the story’s events get darker, the humor will start to dwindle away

cjscherer

@dchin
    The book that had the most humor was book 1. It was fitting since Arthur was still a boy then, the lighter humor fit his perspective on life.

T.H. White uses humor to bring light into dark situations. He uses different characters like King Pellinore, to make both Arthur and the reader more interested and entertained. Arthur first met King Pellinore while he was lost in the forest. When Arthur saw him, King Pellinore’s armor and helmet were falling off awkwardly. Arthur’s anxiety soon went away after King Pellinore started sharing stories about the Questing Beast. Another person who added humor to the story was Sir Grummore. Sir Grummore and King Pellinore had a tilting competition, which was organized by Merlyn. During the awkward fight, both men would have to take breaks to catch their breath because they were exhausted from fighting for so long. After finishing their fight, they became friends and would be incorporated throughout the rest of story to keep us entertained. What do you think the story would be like without the use of humor?

@alexharakas
    I believe that humor used in different eras is not always understood the same way in our current culture. People all over the world find different things funny. Some of the things the characters laugh at, is not always as funny to us as it was to them. I think that this affects the book, because T.H. White may have implemented things that were funny to him, but aren’t necessarily funny to us.

@angelicacastaneda
    I think that the story changes from humorous to more serious, because in Book 1 Arthur was just a child. He found a lot of things more funny and interesting than he did when he was older. As he grew up and became king, he had less time to joke. He had to step up and be responsible over his whole kingdom.

White uses sarcastic comments as well as situational irony to create a humorous atmosphere throughout the novel. Sarcastic remarks are used in Chapter 7 of Book I, prior to and during a jousting tournament between Sir Grummore and King Pellinore (White 69). Situational irony can be found in Chapter 9 of Book II, when Sir Grummore and King Pellinore attempt to cheer up Sir Palomides by dressing up as the “Questing Beast,” since the real “Questing Beast” mistakes them as her mate and their plan backfires (White 268).
    I think that White uses humor as a tool to lighten the mood of the book, given that the story mainly consists of bloody fights, wars, and subsequently, death. This lightening of the mood assists in my overall appreciation and enjoyment of the story.
    Yes, humor has a place throughout classic literature, used to balance out tough situations and sorrowful events. Humor ultimately succeeds so well due to the fact that even in different cultures and different places in time, humor can be understood and appreciated by all whom experience it.
    How does T.H. White use humor to balance out tough situations in “The Once and Future King?”

@taylornicholas13 I think that the novel would be much more intense, and considerably less enjoyable to read.

@dchin I think that Book I had a more light-hearted mood because of White’s continuous use of humor. Humor was primarily utilized to explain the story of Kay and Arthur’s childhoods.

Humor is used through the jokers of this book. These jokers are King Pellinore, Sir Grummor, and Palamidies. Whenever the White put these three characters together, the mood of the scene always seemed to brighten. For example, when Sir Grummor and Palamidies attempted to lift King Pellinore’s spirit by dressing up as the Questing Beast was one of my favorite parts in Book II chapter IX. This lifts the seriousness of the book and makes the readers laugh and enjoy it more. Humor is seen throughout classic pieces of literature like Shakespeare’s works. Humor is also used to build up images of what characters look like. There is a lot of humor between King Pellinore, Sir Grummor, and Palamidies; and I feel like they are the Three Stooges of this book, but is it possible that there could be too much humor?

@taylornicholas13 Without humor in this story, it would not hold interest in readers and would progressively become darker because of the presence of magic and the continuous wars.

@amelia152016 If White made the book less dark, then I feel like there would be an abundance of humor and not enough seriousness.

kl1214

Humor, I believe, is an essential part in a book. If a book can make you feel something other than sadness, frustration, or regret then it truly is a good book. White shows us humor through some of the more, sarcastic characters in the story. For example, King Pellinore, Sir Grummor, and Palamides. In chapter 11 book II, Sir Grummor and Palamides’ plan to cheer King Pellinore up by dressing as the Questing Beast backfires on them, bringing some humor to the otherwise dark story. As I was reading these books, I feel my mood dampening at some darker parts of the story, but the humor ultimately lifted my spirits. Humor takes place in classical literature, though sometimes discreet, it is there. Although we do not understand it now, I’m sure, that the people then laughed at the humor the authors give us in their books. Why do you think the authors include humor in serious books? Do they want us to feel better? To laugh? To just feel?

kl1214

@dchin I feel Book 1 had more humor in it, what with the sarcastic comments and the introduction of the more lighthearted characters that took place in book 1.

kl1214

@ashleyfabella What with the darker scenes in the story, I do not think that there can be too much humor in The Once and Future King. There is so much violence, betrayal, adultery, and anger in this book. There must be some lighter parts in the book to balance the story, right?

T.H. White uses a good amount of humor throughout the book to help balance the mood. The Once and Future King contains a lot of dark, depressing moments which replicates what life was actually like in the Dark Ages. Because that period of time was so blue White makes the reader laugh to balance out the sad. An example of this is in book one, chapter 7, when Sir Grummore and King Pellinore are in a joust, they end up running themselves into trees. When they wake up, they become friend and forget about not liking each other. And yes, humor has always been apart of classic literature, if you don’t understand the humor now, people might have understood it then. Do you think the humor in the book wholesome/pure humor?

T. H. White uses humor throughout his novel to make an otherwise dark tale, lighter. In previous centuries, the tale of King Arthur was told with great reverence and importance, but, by adding humor, White makes his novel versatile. His humorous novel provides an easier and more interesting means of understanding the tragic downfall of King Arthur. White uses humor in book 1 when describing Merlyn, regarded as a wise being, as a short-tempered old man saying, “drat the whole thing! You would think that after all these years of study you could do better for yourself than a by-our-lady well with a by-our-lady bucket, whatever the by-our-lady cost” (White 28). Merlyn’s amusing personality is shone through his odd expression of frustration. Another example is in chapter 9 of book 2, White writes in an extremely humorous manner of Sir Palomides and Sir Grummore constructing a costume of the Questing Beast to cheer up King Pellinore. While the two are constructing the costume, they argue back and forth, like children, about how the costume should look. The humor that White used in the story allowed me to grasp the story of King Arthur more easily because it was interesting. Humor only has a place in classic literature is it is used for the betterment of the story. Why did White decide to incorporate humor in the telling of the classic tale of King Arthur?

@taylornicholas13 Without the use of humor in the story, White would not have been able to portray the story as well as he did. Humor is used to lighten this dark tale of King Arthur’s downfall , helping the reader understand and progress in reading the story.

@ashleyfabella @kl1214 I agree with you on the fact that there can never be to much humor in White’s novel. Without humor, the story would be so dark with all the adultery, murder, betrayal, etc.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.