Mr. Rochester: Villian or Hero

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Chu

@dmcluckey I believe that Mr. Rochester did not do the right thing by hiding Bertha, because even Mr. Rochester stated that the attic was a “goblin’s cell”.

@adriennedwyer
    Mr. Rochester is so intent on understanding Jane, because he wants Jane to be his wife.

kantakato1

HERO
    “I ask to pass through life my side-to be my second self, and beast earthly companion”
    “I will never again come to your side: I am torn away now, and cannot return.”(Chapter 23)
    How can Mr. Rochester be both the hero and the villain?

kantakato1

@dmclucky i believe that Mr. Rochester did the right thing by hiding Bertha because he was keeping her from being in a place that she wouldn’t be treated the right way.

kantakato1

@adriennedwyer I think that Rochester is so intent so he can show his love for Jane and wants to marry her.

HERO:
    “But, Jane, I summon you as my wife: it is you only I intend to marry.”
    This shows that Rochester is Jane’s savior. He is saving Jane from being alone. Do you think Rochester sounded like a hero when he was first introduced to the story?

@kantakato1 Rochester is the hero because he is Jane’s savior. He can also be the villain because he doesn’t tell anyone about his secret wife, Bertha.

@hampizza If Rochester divorced Bertha there wouldn’t have been any problems in their relationship because he wouldn’t be married to Bertha any more.

serrato1

HERO
    “My bride is here,” he said, again drawing me to him, “because my equal is here, and my likeness. Jane, will you marry me?” To admit this would have been a huge blow to ones ego let alone a mans ego and yet alone again a mans ego at the expense to a woman. He must have truly cared about Jane to put away all of his pride to say this to her. Though she does not know it yet at the moment Mr. Rochester has set up a huge proposal offer by letting Jane see his vulnerable side. If Mr. Rochester loved her all along why did he mess with Jane so much past the point where it seemed he was no longer doing it to make her jealous?

serrato1

@kadenheadington When we first see Rochester yes he seems like a hero. Seeing this mysterious figure coming down the rode that Jane can fantasize will save her but past that moment we really have to dig a bit to see Rochester’s heroic side since he is rude to Jane.

serrato1

@Amelia Navarro No it doesn’t erase Darcy’s mistakes and wrongdoings because you can never truly forget what has been done but this is where the sayings that love covers a multitude of sin and love conquers all come into play showing that though she wont forget what Rochester did she can forgive him.

kl1214

VILLAIN

“Next morning I had the pleasure of encountering him; left a bullet in one of his poor etiolated arms, feeble as the wing of a chicken in the pip, and then thought I had done with the whole crew.” (Chapter 15)

“Jane! will you hear reason?” (he stooped and approached his lips to my ear); “because, if you won’t, I’ll try violence.” (Chapter 27)

kl1214

Do you feel that Mr. Rochester was pressuring Jane into marriage, much like John Rivers?

kl1214

@amelia152016

No, just because you say you love someone it does not mean that what they have done is forgotten or justified.

kl1214

@serrato1

It is precisely why he loves her that he decided to keep messing with her. Love makes you do crazy things.

sarahjwilcox

HERO

“Nature meant me to be, on the whole, a good man, Miss Eyre: one of the better end; and you see I am not so. […] Then take my word for it,—I am not a villain: you are not to suppose that—not to attribute to me any such bad eminence; but, owing, I verily believe, rather to circumstances than to my natural bent, I am a trite common-place sinner, hackneyed in all the poor petty dissipations with which the rich and worthless try to put on life.” (1.14.61)

Why could Rochester be considered the Villain?

sarahjwilcox

@kl1214 I do not believe he was pressuring Jane because she did fall in love with him, even though she denied it.

sarahjwilcox

@serrato1 he kept messing with her because that’s what love can do. He may not realize it but I think he puts his affection into a way of messing with Jane.

HERO
    ” I wanted to have you safe before hazarding confidences. This was cowardly: I should have appealed to your nobleness and magnanimity at first, as I do now—opened to you plainly my life of agony—described to you my hunger and thirst after a higher and worthier existence—…”
    (Brontë Chapter 27).
    Rochester is confesssing to Jane that he was a coward and should have put her before himself. He opened himself to her in hopes that she will accept him.

What do you think would happen if Jane decided not to marry Rochester?

@amelianavarro Rochester’s mistakes cannot be forgiven by his love for Jane, but he can try and make it up to her and give her a better life.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.