Relationships To Recognize

• This topic has 15 voices and 41 replies.
Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    tjbushra

Gateshead and Lowood, though both fierce, had very different management styles. Making that transition to Lowood would be very difficult. If it weren’t for Helen’s idea of submission, she would have had a major issue with authority. This relationship between Jane and Helen is exemplified through actions and thoughts, and Jane’s thoughts cannot be shown through a film. That’s what it’s important to experience Jane’s mind through the reading. When she shows up at Thornfield, she is kindly greeted by Mrs. Fairfax. Jane’s understanding of older women revolves nearly entirely at this point around Mrs. Reed, so too see Mrs. Fairfax so happy and kindhearted takes Jane off guard, possibly because she misjudged Mrs. Fairfax already. Once she arrives at Moore House, Diana and Mary treat her well. At this point in the novel, she is nearly starving from her adventure and she is mentally tormented from the situation with Rochester. Their kind treatment keeps her going. When she tells Mr. St. John that Rochester is the first one to recognize her, she’s talking about her peculiar personality. Jane recognizes that she is a passionate and quirky person, which is why she states multiple times in her younger life that she doesn’t plan on marriage. When she says that Rochester “recognized” her, she means that he was the only one to click with her, as he had a similar peculiarity.

tjbushra

@lauren

I don’t particularly enjoy Jane’s passionate character. My reasoning is that she doesn’t seem to have so much passion for a reason, and a lot of times, she is too passionate when submission would work out best for everyone, especially herself. That being said, Jane represents the power of women in general against a masculine-powered world and a society of passive women, so her indignation is justified by symbolism.

tjbushra

@matt

Some initial consequences include the fact that Jane would have to deal with Mr. Rochester leaving all the time. Had Mr. Mason not interrupted the first marriage, Rochester would continue with his business life, and Jane would miss him when he went away for professional reasons. This was “resolved” so to say when Mr. Rochester was injured.

angelarofael

@gabihaw I think Jane knew that she would never return to he Rivers. However, I think she probably thought she see them along the way sometime down the road of life. Of course she still kept in touch with them too

angelarofael

@laurensayre @tjbushra I agree with TJ in that Jane sometimes got too passionate over the little things. Her life would have been so much easier if she was not rocked by every pebble in the road, so to speak. She probably should’ve learned from Helen to accept that which she could not change

Joshua B

Like Miss Loock said, Jane does rely on individuals around her in order to sustain her through the difficult times in her life. When Jane first arrives at Lowood, her friendship with Helen Burns really helps Jane to transition. Like Angela said, Helen is sort of like a pillow with which Jane can “cry on.” Jane’s feelings/emotions/thoughts are all told to Helen. Similarly, the fact that Helen Burns is merely a friend to Jane (even when Jane is totally castigated by Mr. Brocklehurst in front of her peers)at a time when Jane otherwise doesn’t have any friends helps Jane adjust to the new environment/situation. Helen’s viewpoints and beliefs in GOD and about going to heaven if you love and obey Him really help Jane to ponder about the validity of her statements. “Is there really such a place as heaven?” These are thoughts that Jane pondered on as a result of Helen’s statements about GOD, the Bible,and heaven. When Jane arrives at Thornfield, she is treated kindly and cordially by Mrs. Faifax, unlike how she was treated at Gateshead: cruelly and unjustly. Mrs. Fairfax’s kindness to Jane contrasts severely with Mrs. Reed’s unkindness to Jane when she was younger. After Jane abandons her post at Thornfield, she becomes a beggar, looking for food and trying to give away some of her possessions in order to obtain basic necessities of life, like food. When she meets Diana and Mary Rivers, however, her will to live is renewed. She sees them studying their books in the parlor, and becomes bold enough to knock on the door to ask for shelter. The kindness of Diana and Mary also inspire Jane to continue living with them and with St. John. When Jane says that Mr. Rochester was the first to recognize her, I agree with what Matt said, about how Mr. Rochester views Jane and recognizes her as being truly loved. Also, I think that Mr. Rochester was the first to recognize the potential in Jane regarding life and kindness.

Joshua B

@Caitlin Estabrook

Caitlin, nice points! I totally agree with what you said about Mr. Rochester being the first to recognize Jane as being beautiful. As for your question, I believe that Mr. Rochester would still find what he saw in Jane before she received the inheritance. Even after she received the money, Jane split it between Mary, Diana, St. John, and herself. She wasn’t greedy or anything of the sort. Thus, it is probable that even if Jane did come from a rich background, she would probably still be humble, and pretty (internally and outwardly), according to Mr. Rochester.

Joshua B

@jackzisakis

Jack, good points! As for your question, I believe that Jane does find what she was seeking for. Towards the end of the novel, Jane communicates that she loves Mr. Rochester and wants nothing more than to love him and be with him. Jane sought love…and she found love with Mr. Rochester.

I think Jane’s actions rely on the people around her. When Jane becomes friends with Helen Burns, her viewpoint on God and Heaven was so different from Jane’s, I think once Helen dies Jane realizes that Helen is going to where she wanted and starts to believe Heaven is a happy place. Mrs. Fairfax and Mrs. Temple were the first nice adult figures in her life after being raised by Mrs. Reed she probably didn’t know what to think. When Jane is found by Mary and Diana Rivers they welcome her and St. John even finds her a job at a school. I agree with what Josh said, that Diana and Mary’s kindness give Jane a reason to live with them. I also agree that Mr. Rochester truly loved Jane and wanted her to be happy.

anthonyo3

Jane has life figured out in her mind throughout the novel, so although it is clear to the reader that Jane needs outside help. Unfortunately, Jane believing that she is perfectly fine minimizes the influence each person would have on her life throughout the novel. Although Jane is closed off, Helen, Mrs. Fairfax, Mary and diana, Mr. Rochester and St. John all play big roles in shaping Janes character and guiding her through her experiences in each different location in the novel. Even though Jane feels at peace with her decisions, she still feels a need for gratificatation, which leads to all these characters playing big roles albeit Jane’s semi-rebuke of their assistance.

anthonyo3

@Josh B, great point! I feel like Rochester plays a big role in Jane’s development, and helps her realize what she’s truly capable of.

anthonyo3

@matt miller I totally agree with your points that the affect that these people had in Jane’s life was more in the mental state than anywhere else.

kennang

@kellylandsdell great points I agree that jane had no idea how to react when people treated her like a actual human being with feelings.

kennang

@Anthony03 I totally agree with you, jane is very closed off throughout the novel yet all those people still influence her life

kennang

Helen had ideas and a view of God very foreign to jane and with Helen’s last breaths were planted the seeds of the gospel in jane that manifest themselves when her life falls apart. When jane meets Mrs Fairfax she expects to be treated lowly due to her previous experiences but she was surprised to be treated with actual human compassion and respect. Mary and Diana were there for her when her life was falling apart and she was literally wondering the wilderness but they helped her. Mr Rochester was the first one to recognize the passionate opinionated women inside the educated governess that jane grew up to be.

Although throughout the novel, Jane is for the most part able to sustain herself in difficult times, her friends help her to get through them. Helen, helps ease Jane’s transition into Lowood by becoming one of her only friends. Also Helen’s view of God inspires Jane and helps her to think about the idea of God intellectually. The differing idea of God being a father figure helps Jane get through the hardest of times. Mrs. Fairfax’s treatment to Jane contrasts with Gatehead’s because Mrs. Fairfax treated Jane like an adult and actually took her opinions seriously. At Mor House Diana and Mary’s play the role of Jane’s sisters when she leaves Thornfield. They remain her constant companions through her stay at Mor House and they generally care for her. When Jane told St. John that Rochester was the first to recognize her, he meant that he was the first to see her for who she was, instead of a stereotypical woman in their society like Blanche. Why do you think would happen to Jane without her companions to help her?

@daniel if Jane chose St. John over Rochester, she would be in a loveless relationship, because St. John only proposed to Jane because he thought she would make a good missionary wife and not because he loved her.

@daniel if Jane chose St. John over Rochester, she would be in a loveless relationship, because St. John only proposed to Jane because he thought she would make a good missionary wife and not because he loved her.

@lauren I generally enjoyed Jane’s passionate attitude because it was fun to read about her “fighting back” to society. In example, I liked reading about when Jane stood up to Mrs. Reed.

emilylarsen

Without the relationships throughout jane’s life there wouldn’t have given her any purpose to live. She experienced and felt differently for each of the people in her life. With Helen burns she puts the idea a loving God with life after death. A God that is graceful and merciful. And before she met Helen she had a totally different outlook. Even though she didn’t believe it at first, it opened the aspect of the fairy tale world and set the basis for it. Not until later in her life when she needed God the most Helens teachings finally made sense to her. In the film, you can not see thoughts and feelings so I don’t think it shows clearly the true reality of what occurred between Helen and jane. When jane shows up at thornfield she is greeted by Mrs. Fairfax. And at Thornfield she was treated like an equal. She had never felt this before because until now she was treated and someone less than everyone by Mrs Reed. The contrast between them is very vas in my opinion. Mrs Fairfax very kind and excepting, where Mrs Reed is very bitter and does not want anything to do with jane. At this point in the novel when she arrives at Moorhouse she is at her breaking point. She leaves her love, she is starving and just wants to give up. Mary and Diana are kind to her and treat her well. Their kindness I think is what keeps her going. When she tells St. John that mr rochester was the first one to recognize her she is speaking of the traits that no one before took time to notice. Her peculiar personality and passion towards almost everything which are just a couple of many. Do you think that was a bigger reason why she fell in love with him, because was the first to see her when no one else took the time to?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • The topic ‘Relationships To Recognize’ is closed to new replies.